- What is National Institute of Korean Language's Korean-English Learners' Dictionary?
National Institute of Korean Language's Korean-English Learners' Dictionary is a bilingualised dictionary for Korean learners, consisting of translations from the Basic Korean Dictionary into English.
With an increase in the number of Korean learners and a long history of Korean education, the demand for a dictionary that takes account of the diversity of linguistic cultures of learners and the ever-changing educational environment has gradually grown. In order to meet these demands and circumstances, National Institute of Korean Language devised a plan to create the Basic Korean Dictionary in 2012, which compiles a Korean educational dictionary in 10 languages. Experts from many different fields such as Korean education experts, translators, native speakers who are proficient in Korean, and system developers have participated in the project over an extended period of time, so as to develop a user-friendly dictionary of optimum quality.
The key tool that is indispensable when learning a new language is, of course, a dictionary. We hope this dictionary will be of help to all Korean learners and teachers.
-> Basic Korean Dictionary: A web-dictionary for learning Korean that has been compiled in Korean for Korean learners and teachers
-> 10 languages: Russian, Mongolian, Vietnamese, Spanish, Arabic, English, Indonesian, Japanese, Thai, French
- What are the features of National Institute of Korean Language's Korean-English Learners' Dictionary?
National Institute of Korean Language's Korean-English Learners' Dictionary is the first online bilingualised dictionary for learning Korean. The Dictionary offers an abundance of information needed to learn Korean, such as words, useful information, and cultural information, in various forms such as text and multimedia, to make learning Korean a fun and interesting experience.
1. A dictionary that provides an ample number of headwords, examples, and diverse learning information necessary for learning Korean
- We selected 50,000 vocabulary words needed to learn Korean.
- We classified the necessary vocabulary words into elementary, intermediate, and advanced levels of Korean and marked them with stars. (★★★ Elementary vocabulary, ★★ Intermediate vocabulary, ★ Advanced vocabulary).
- We defined the selected vocabulary words so that they are easily comprehensible, and added multimedia materials to assist further understanding.
- We provided examples that are used in daily life in diverse forms of phrase, sentence types, and conversation.
- The Dictionary divides the vocabulary by theme and situation that is often encountered when learning or teaching Korean.
2. A bilingual dictionary that takes account of the learner’s language and culture
- The headwords and definitions of the Basic Korean Dictionary were translated, taking the learner’s language and culture into consideration. You can search and look up individual words, or idioms·proverbs, in Korean or English.
- Every language was translated by the best translators in the country and edited by native speakers in order to achieve a higher quality of translation.
3. A dictionary that is user-friendly and user-centered, allowing users to particiate in improving the dictionary
- We applied a web-based environment that users could use easily.
- We implemented a connection among all information so that users can access data easily.
- We made all information easily accessible from portable devices, Internet websites, etc.
4. A dictionary with constant updates and development
- Users can make suggestions regarding the dictionary’s content.
- Based on the copyright policy, the content can be used freely due to knowledge contributions.